Learn how to cook pizza on grill without stone. This post will share a simple way to cook a pizza on the grill without using a pizza stone. No stone, no problem! This method will deliver a delicious pizza on the BBQ every single time!
I have always loved a delicious homemade pizza but struggled to get the perfect crust with my traditional oven. So I decided to experiment with the grill because it goes to a much higher temperature than my oven and it has more space. I was able to use a large pizza pan and make a New York Style pizza on the grill.
The crust turned out perfectly and the cheese bubbled up, releasing the oils into the sauce for a perfect run-over onto the crispy crust. My favorite part of a real New York-style pizza is the orange grease that separates from the cheese during the cooking process. I am happy to say that cooking pizza on the grill is the perfect way to make that happen.
You may be wondering why I wanted to cook my pizza on the grill without a stone. The main reason is that I wanted a large crust and I couldn’t find a stone big enough. So I used a giant pizza pan to press out my dough and cook the perfect pizza on the grill without a stone.
I have tried cooking pizza on a stone and in my opinion, it is more trouble than it is worth. Back when I was trying to replicate my favorite pizza that I grew up eating, I tried every method I could find and nothing came as close as cooking pizza on the grill without a stone.
The first and possibly most important step in this recipe is that you need to make the dough and let it sit for about 3 days. I have tried this recipe many different ways and through trial and error, I realized that this part is crucial if you want the perfect pizza crust.
Usually, when making a homemade pizza, especially a deep dish pizza crust, I don’t prepare the dough ahead of time. I usually just prepare the dough and then add toppings, then cook it right before serving. But when you are trying to get a crispy, chewy pizza crust, you have to prepare the dough well in advance.
After trying this pizza on the grill you will quickly see why this recipe is worth the wait. The extra effort pays off big time in the form of the best pizza you can make using a grill.
Tips for success: Use high-quality 00 flour and high-quality mozzarella, these are two of the most important ingredients in a delicious homemade new york style pizza made at home.
Serve your family a delicious homemade pizza on the grill without using a stone and be sure to come back and let me know your thoughts on this pizza recipe!
- 3 cups of 00 flour
- 1 Teaspoon of Iodized Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Instant Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon of Sugar
- 1 1/4 Cups of Warm Water
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons of Olive Oil
- Using a food processor, combine the ingredients until they form a dough ball.
- Add dough to a floured countertop and knead the dough by hand for 3-5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into two different balls and cover.
- Refrigerate for 72 hours and pull the dough out 3 hours before cooking.
- Flour a large pizza pan and carefully stretch the dough out and press it into the pan.
- Add pizza sauce and whole milk mozzarella cheese, as well as toppings.
- Brush the crust edges with olive oil.
- Cook on the grill heated to 600 degrees for 10-15 minutes. The time will vary based on pan size and type.